Re: Multilanguage alt/title

Hi Maciej,

On Aug 29, 2007, at 7:41 PM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> On Aug 29, 2007, at 4:31 PM, Robert Burns wrote:
>

>> HI Gregory,
>>
>> After producing the wiki page on OBJECT element support in the
>> latest browsers, I"m even more convinced this is the way to go
>> [1]. From the results so far, it seems that every  current browser
>> except Safari allows for a simplified  use of the OBJECT element
>> (as nearly as simple as the IMG element except that for IE the
>> dimensions need to be specified). The OBJECT element is much
>> closer to being a replacement for IMG than I would have thought.
>> If these bugs in IE (extracting and using the media's intrinsic
>> dimensions) and Safari (not even handling this content at all)
>> could be worked out, we would be there.
>
> Did you find any problems in Safari's support for the OBJECT
> element for images? I don't recall you mentioning any.

Not in the latest nightly builds, but in the release version and even
the publicly released beta, it does not adjust the OBJECT generated
box to the intrinsic dimensions of the media.

> The problems with audio/video are a bug in the quicktime plugin - I
> hope that can be fixed soon but in the meantime you can duplicate
> the data attribute in a <param name="src"> to work around it. In
> any case they would not affect the use of OBJECT for images.

Thanks for that information. I'll update the wiki with that
information. I understand that it would not effect images since
they're handled by WebKit internally. However, the same problem
Gregory is talking about gets repeated for video and audio since we
have a non-standard EMBED element that authors often turn to because
the implementation of OBJECT (in both browsers and handler UAs) is
inadequate. Again the non-standard EMBED element provides no
mechanism for alternate equivalent fallback in the contents of the
element.

Take care,
Rob