Re: [HDP] Response to Review of HTML Design Principles Questionnaire

From: Magnus Kristiansen <magnusrk+elektrans@pvv.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 18:56:08 +0200
To: "Lachlan Hunt" <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>, public-html <public-html@w3.org>

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 16:57:30 +0200, Lachlan Hunt
<lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au> wrote:

> Joshue O Connor claimed:
>> For example accessibility and security are two forces (sic) that could
>> be at logger heads. In many ways they are opposing principles. How can
>> we make the web more accessible while still making it more secure? How
>> can they be reconsiled? Which one will get the bums rush when the chips
>> are down?
>
> I'm not sure what he's basing that claim on, I can't imagine how any
> security or privacy issue could affect accessibility.  But, even
> hypothetically, if it comes down to deciding on a feature that could
> seriously compromise the security of users for the benefit of
> accessibility, security wins and accessibility would have to be
> addressed in another way.  Ideally, however, features would be both
> secure and accessible and that scenario would never occur.

Visited links come to mind. If AT software is able to read out whether a
link is visited or not, so can an evil script. It seems somewhat similar
to the issues with canvas drawWindow, a conflict between wanting to
extract the information displayed on the screen and preventing a script
 from getting hold of stuff that's supposed to be private or secret.

--
Magnus Kristiansen
"Don't worry; the Universe IS out to get you."