Re: Empty vs no alt attribute (was Re: Baby Steps or Backwards Steps?)

The point I was trying to make was that while this supplemental
information is good, as a true alternative description of the image it
will fall short. Because of tool tips many web authors assume that alt
is meant to give additional information for sighted users. The Assistive
Technology community and most standards state that alt is to provide a
text equivalent of the image. Of course some would argue that it's an
impossible task to fully describe an image with words, but we can (and
should) do better than just supplementing or augmenting it.

CB