Re: numeric character references and Unicode surrogate pairs: part of my review of 8 The HTML syntax

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 09:49:51 +1000
To: public-html WG <public-html@w3.org>

Cameron McCormack:
> >Here’s one:
> >
> >  data:text/html,%26%23xD800%3B%26%23xDC00%3B
> >
> >Shows as a single U+10000 character in Firefox 2.0.0.5 and Opera 9.23,
> >at least.

Julian Reschke:
> Out of curiosity: how are you testing this? Over here FF displays one
> question mark,

I was testing it just by loading that URI in the browsers.  Maybe you
don’t have a font that covers that character?

> and if a copy/paste that into Notepad, I seem to get two
> UCS-2 characters...

I can’t say anything about clipboard encodings or what encodings Notepad
supports.  If I copy and paste from Firefox 2 into gedit or vim I get a
single U+10000 character.

--
Cameron McCormack, http://mcc.id.au/