[Offtopic] Re: Placeholder Text for Text Boxes

From: Thomas Broyer <t.broyer@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 17:19:46 +0200
To: public-html@w3.org

2007/8/20, Maurice Carey:

> Also, is there, or is there going to be a way to indicate that an element
> should be invisible for sighted users but any text in that element should
> still be read for screen readers?
>
> For example:
> For a design where I have to put the text "username" and "password" inside
> the input since there was no space to have a proper <label> I'd like to be
> able to have put a proper label for the benefit of blind users but still
> have it display:none for sighted users since they'll be able to see the text
> inside the input. I may have the text "username" and "password" appear by
> using background images in the <input> since "password" in a password input
> looks like "********"

You should theoretically be able do achieve this effect simply using
media-specific stylesheets/rules, but I've been told screen readers,
because they "read the screen", apply the media="screen" stylesheets
:-(

It seems like people are actually using style="position: absolute;
left: -9999px" to bring the text out of view but still have it read by
screen readers (that's part of the techniques for replacing header's
text with an image).

--
Thomas Broyer