Re: Baby Steps or Backwards Steps?

From: James Graham <jg307@cam.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 19:31:56 +0100
To: aurélien levy <aurelien.levy@free.fr>
CC: public-html@w3.org

aurélien levy wrote:

>> Given that the practical effect of requiring the alt attribute
>> everywhere, including photo sites like Flickr, is typically one of
>> those options, what benefits do options 2, 3 or 4 offer over option 1?
> and what is the benefits of option 1 over 2,3 and 4

For some browsing scenarios distinguishing between an important image with
missing alt text and a decorative image can be used to improve the UI e.g. a
text browser offering a prominent link to download the first kind of image (or
open it in an external application) but not the second (this is not a unique
reason to make this distinction but I don't think it has been brought up already).