Re: Keeping some order in the wiki

aloha, sander -- ben millard taught me an invaluable moinmoin
wiki trick -- to obtain the actual document source that is
served to your UA, save the source code and search for a
text string you know to be a header, and there will be an
ID defined for it -- the levels of ID granularity within
the document source which is served to your UA varies, but
headings ARE one of the items that moinmoin does consistently
provide an ID (usually a very long numeric (and possibly
alpha-numeric) string)

as for keeping the ToC current, we could either appoint someone
to do it (harvest new pages and mount them on the ToC at least
once a day), rely on those who create pages to add them to the
ToC, or write some sort of script that scrapes for diffs at
regular intervals to add anything marked as "New" or anything
that is moved (as in the case of a wiki page which started in
one place, such as the root topic directory, and was later
moved, for sanity's and classification's sake, to a top-level
sub-directory, such as HTML/) would be automagically changed
on the ToC -- or, we could simply make the ToC an HTML WG
space document, to which updates are automatically pushed --
a file in the www.w3.org/html/wg/ directory, which would also
be of assistance in information tracking during the migration
of HTML wiki space to a new which will not automatically
preserve diffs, page histories, user accounts, etc.

just some thoughts off the top of my head at 0130 local time,
gregory.
CONSERVATIVE, n.  A statesman who is enamored of existing evils,
as distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them
with others.         -- Ambrose Bierce, _The Devil's Dictionary_
             Gregory J. Rosmaita, oedipus@hicom.net