Re: Keeping some order in the wiki

Hi Sander,

On Aug 14, 2007, at 11:49 PM, Sander Tekelenburg wrote:

> At 20:33 -0400 UTC, on 2007-08-14, Gregory J. Rosmaita wrote:
>
>> i too, wanted to avoid bloat on the main issues page
>
> OK, that's three of us. We can't discuss every detail with
> everyone. It's a
> wiki. So I've moved the Justifications for Differences to
> individual pages.
> If people hate it they can move it back :) (I realise I may have
> gone 'too
> far' by splitting the justifications into several pages now. But I
> couldn't
> figure out an elegant way to have it all inn one page and still
> logically
> likn to it from the homepage.)
>
> But we probably need to be careful. At a certain point everything
> may have
> become so interlinked that moving one thing can break 'everything'.
> (I for
> one have been posting links to fragment identifiers, pointing to
> specific
> points in a page.)

I agree with what you're saying here. The TOC should be handled
automatically. Perhaps the migration to MediaWiki would help with
that (my only concern about MediaWik has been addressed by Gregory's
suggestion that a switch can be thrown to allow pure HTML markup on
top of the wiki markup).

However, perhaps its a bit mature to move this material to another
page. Right now, I think our biggest priority   on the wiki is in
providing the use-cases and problem statements to support these
changes to HTML. In that sense, there is really no difference between
the sections you moved and the ones that remain: except the ones that
remain have had more work done on them.

I think once we move to MediaWiki — if we have all the settings right
and the proper wikipedia-used extensions installed — we can make use
of categories to generate automatic subject indices. Each page will
automatically generate its own TOC (which also makes creating
fragment identifier links elsewhere easier). Editing a single section
will be easier. And son on. So perhaps we can wait for DanC to
migrate the material to the new wiki before we make such significant
changes.

Eventually, we can move all of the use-cases/problem-statements to
their own separate page: including the ones now called "Justification
for Differences".

Take care,
Rob