Re: Keeping some order in the wiki

At 20:33 -0400 UTC, on 2007-08-14, Gregory J. Rosmaita wrote:

> Tue, 14 Aug 2007 20:20:12 +0200, Sander Tekelenburg <st@isoc.nl> wrote:

[...]

>> <http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML> is becoming quite big this way.
>> I'm beginning to lose sight of things. Could not the entire
>> "Justifications for Differences" section be moved to a separate page?
>
> the reason i started an index of HTML wiki space at:
>
> http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/TableOfContents

Hm... OK, that might be necessary, yes. But I'm going to be critical anyway
;) Not only does it seem cleaner to me to simply have a 'clean' homepage from
where everything can be found, but even more importantly, a separate TOC
means that someone will need to make sure it is kept up to date. I doubt that
is practical. Who is going to ensure it will be kept up to date?

For the moment I've placed a link to your TOC all the way at the top of the
homepage, called Table Of Contents. (Am I missing something, or doesn't this
wiki allow embedding links within heading levels?) That will at least make it
easier to find the TOC than having it somewhere at the bottom under a "See
also" heading :)

Please don't take offense. I appreciate the work everybody's putting in the
wiki. But if we don't keep it clean, all that work gets buried under itself.
That would be a waste.

[...]

> i too, wanted to avoid bloat on the main issues page

OK, that's three of us. We can't discuss every detail with everyone. It's a
wiki. So I've moved the Justifications for Differences to individual pages.
If people hate it they can move it back :) (I realise I may have gone 'too
far' by splitting the justifications into several pages now. But I couldn't
figure out an elegant way to have it all inn one page and still logically
likn to it from the homepage.)

But we probably need to be careful. At a certain point everything may have
become so interlinked that moving one thing can break 'everything'. (I for
one have been posting links to fragment identifiers, pointing to specific
points in a page.)

>, especially since there isn't a wikified ToC for that page (or any other),
> which is why i created the ToC page...

Yeah. The wiki should just generate generate a TOC by itself. (But that's
another thread.)

--
Sander Tekelenburg