Re: Other syntax: part of my review of 8 The HTML syntax

On Aug 14, 2007, at 5:14 AM, Robert Burns wrote:

> Summary
> --------------------------------
>  • Rework the HTML syntax to be about HTML in the broadest sense of
> the term
>  • Use HTML to refer to the broadest sense of HTML and 'text/html'
> to refer to the serialization
>  • Move the syntax chapter to chapter two (2).
>  • Specify error-handling for the XML serialization with respect to
> misused '&', "<' and unknown character entities

On this last issue, I'm mostly interested in the stray '&' and the
unknown character entities (more so than the stray '<'). The indirect
effect on well-formedness for '<' is probably much harder to deal
with than '&'.  Much more than unknown character entities, the stray
'&*' is a well-formedness constraint violation and a non-fatal error
[1]. Current browsers apply the draconian error-handling for well-
formedness errors to these validity errors.

Take care,
Rob

[1]: <http://www.w3.org/TR/xml/#dt-chardata>