Re: 3.8.10. The address element

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 07:05:05 +0000 (UTC)
To: Ben Boyle <benjamins.boyle@gmail.com>
Cc: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>

On Wed, 8 Aug 2007, Ben Boyle wrote:

> http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#address
>
> 1. I think there is some poor wording here: "Typically, the address
> element would be included with other information in a footer element."
> The footer element explicitly states it cannot include sections, i.e.
> footer cannot contain address.

<address> isn't a sectioning element, unless I've made a mistake
somewhere.

> 2. Would anyone else like the content model of address broadened? I
> would like to be able to structure contact details using lists and
> tables (when appropriate) and to do this within address tags. The
> "paragraph" model is restrictive and I don't understand the reasons for
> the restriction.

I suppose we could change this for XHTML, but for HTML we're constrained
by legacy parsing behaviour (which is somewhat... special... for
<address>).

> 3. grammar... in the note "a aside" should be "an aside"

Thanks, will fix.

> 4. could the examples use lowercase tagnames to comply with xhtml (and
> html) serialisaton?

I'm trying to make the examples have a wide variety of styles to not
mislead people who skim examples into thinking only one style is allowed.