Re: table, column group, column, row groups, TABLE, CAPTION, COLGROUP, COL, THEAD, TFOOT, TR, part of my review of 3.15 Tabular data

Robert Burns wrote:
> Consider allowing COL elements as a child of TABLE instead of only as a
> grandchild (child of COLGROUP). It's not clear what disallowing COL as a
> child of TABLE solves.

IIRC, the reason for requiring the colgroup element is for better
compatibility with IE, which implies colgroup element when it encounters
an col element anyway.  Since the start and end tags for colgroup are
both optional, it can be omitted from the markup in HTML, though it is a
little more inconvenient for XHTML.

I have no strong opinion about how to deal with this either way, though
since XHTML1 didn't require colgroup, perhaps XHTML5 shouldn't either.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/