Re: authoring @lang and @dir (was 3.6. The root element)

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 03:34:58 -0700
Cc: Sander Tekelenburg <st@isoc.nl>, public-html@w3.org
To: Robert Burns <rob@robburns.com>

On Aug 2, 2007, at 12:56 AM, Robert Burns wrote:

> BTW, can you provide a use-case for setting @dir to the opposite
> value to what a particular script would usually have (i.e., setting
> @dir to 'ltr' for Arabic or Hebrew or 'rtl' for Latin or Cyrillic or
> the like). I cannot think of any use-case myself.

I can't personally read any RTL scripts, so I can't tell you all the
details offhand. But things can get complicated when mixing multiple
scripts, and I imagine it is often useful to control neutral text
directionality separately.

Here is a quick survey I did of a tiny handful of sites in Hebrew,
Arabic and Farsi:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/arabic/news/ - does not use the dir attribute
at all, so it currently gets the default of ltr
http://persianblog.com/home.php - does not use the dir attribute at
all, so it currently gets the default of ltr
http://www.google.co.il/ - explicitly sets dir=ltr around a div that
contains hebrew text
http://www.walla.co.il/ - does not use dir attribute at all, but sets
both "direction: ltr" and "direction: rtl" via CSS for different
elements

These are some of the top sites in their respective languages, so it's
pretty clear to me that for compatibility with web content, lang and
dir must remain independent.

Regards,
Maciej