Re: The <label>

aloha, craig!

i too share your concern for the limitations of LABEL as it is currently
implemented -- i'm attaching an html example slash test document i
created for the systems team at w3c, with whom i've worked off and on
on accessibility and usability issues for the past 7 or 8 years...

it illustrates the FIELDSET, LEGEND and LABEL model, which CANNOT work
without the explicit binding of LABEL (and HTML 4.01 does allow multiple
labels to point at a common target) to a form control, especially when
the form is embedded in a table, where implicit associations are
impossible...  FIELDSET provides a grouping mechanism, LEGEND provides
context for the grouping of form fields, and LABEL provides context for
individual form controls...

other re-formatted forms with detailed commentary on the changes and
need for change, can be found at:

1. <http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/temp/BoA/atm_locator_gjr.html>
constructed for the Bank of America, in an attempt to provide them
with crucial feedback about their web site and the tag soup they
utilized to create it -- unfortunately, after getting a fair deal of
what i advised implemented, BoA changed the vendor who provides their
web presence and services, and most of the work i had been successful
in getting them to incorporate, no longer comprises part of the BoA
site's code.  the initial detailed report i compiled for BoA is
archived at:
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2007Aug/0004.html>

2.
<http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/temp/google/gmail/accessible_feedback_form_
options.html>
includes link to changelog and illustrates options, including FIELDSET
inside a table

3. <http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/temp/google/scholar/>
includes links to comments excised from the reformat's document source;
and an accessible alternate search form; note that this material dates
from the spring of 2006, and is not intended as a criticism of google's
current approach to forms, which have benefitted immeasureably since
raman began working at google

4. and a 2001 message outlining specific changes necessary for the
then-extant request for WAI QuickTip cards:

http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/wai/qtform_feedback1.txt

i hope that these illustrations are of assistance to you,
gregory.

CRITIC, n.  A person who boasts himself hard to please because
nobody tries to please him.
                     -- Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary
Gregory J. Rosmaita: oedipus@hicom.net
   Oedipus' Online Complex: http://my.opera.com/oedipus/