Re: Steps Towards a Common WG Vocabulary

At 21:54 -0400 UTC, on 2007-08-01, Gregory J. Rosmaita wrote:

About <http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/CommonVocabularyAndDefinitions>

> if we are to break out of the terminological tangle that substitutes
> for a common working group vocabulary, and the disambiguation of
> terms used in the HTML WG's work, with the aim of providing a Common
> Vocabulary for the working group, it is necessary to maintain a list
> of the working group's consensus on specific terms and/or concepts.

Agreed. I attempted something along those lines in the introduction to
<http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/AccessibilityConsensus>. But it would be better
to have a dedicated glossary.

I would strongly prefer that to be a simple glossary though. It may be useful
to have an individual term link to a dedicated page that provides an extended
rationale and points to list messages, but to be practical, it should be a
relatively simple definition list that can be used to quickly look something
up.

(Personally I find some of the current wiki pages undigestable. They contain
truckloads of quotes from the mailing lists. That's probably meant to be
complete, which is of course commendable. But it's just too much; offers
little advantage over the mailing list itself. The point of a wiki is that it
allows collabrative editing. If the aim is to use the wiki to provide
summaries of issues/agreements/disagreements, then let's try to summarize
those. If a summary is considered incorrect, someone will change it. No need
to try to be overly complete.)

I'd be happy to create <http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/Glossary> and dump the
definitions  in there that I put in
<http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/AccessibilityConsensus>. But I don't want to
flat out start something that competes with what you just started, so I'll
wait for your response first :)

--
Sander Tekelenburg