Re: Maturity of XML

From: Philip TAYLOR <Philip-and-LeKhanh@Royal-Tunbridge-Wells.Org>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 17:27:20 +0100
To: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
CC: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>

Lachlan Hunt wrote:

>   Due to the strict syntax rules and error handling requirements of XML,
>   authors choosing to use XHTML should use caution in doing so to ensure
>   that well-formedness constraints are not violated to the detriment of
>   end users.

Gowers, Fowler et al would have had an apoplectic fit on reading that.

/If/ we are to say anything at all about X(HT)ML [1], then I would
suggest that the Plain English version of Lachlan's prose might
be :

XHTML documents must be well formed; if they are not,
they will not be rendered by an XML-compliant user agent.

Philip Taylor
--------
[1] And I still maintain that it is not within our aegis so to do.