Re: @lang => @dir (was 3.6. The root element)

From: Jason White <jason@jasonjgw.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 20:29:32 +1000
To: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>

On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 11:02:19PM -0500, Robert Burns wrote:

> Just to add one more point. As far as I know there are no scripts that have
> more than one directionality. Once the language is specified (and I would
> say a romanized Hebrew is not specified without a script code), the
> directionality is also specified.

@dir doesn't address the vertical writing directionality sometimes used in
East asian typography. What is the plan for addressing this directionality
issue in HTML, including the relationship between HTML 5 and W3C work on Ruby
annotation?

It isn't clear from this thread whether anyone is proposing to change section
3.4.4 of the draft, and if so what the change would be.