Maturity Re: (of XML)

From: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 18:42:23 +0200
To: "Philip Taylor" <philip@zaynar.demon.co.uk>, public-html@w3.org

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 18:30:35 +0200, Philip Taylor
<philip@zaynar.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Philip TAYLOR wrote:
>> many of us would undoubtedly argue that the "stricter syntax rules"
>> of XML are positively beneficial and that HTML5 bends over backwards
>> (far too far, IMHO) to pander to the inabilities and inadequacies of
>> the technologically illiterate.
>
> Why should we not cater for such people, when we do cater for people
> with physical inabilities?

Please let's not go here again. HTML 5 *does* allow people to write
old-school HTML tag soup, and provides a way to know what will happen to
it in a good HTML5-capable browser. And I suspect it will continue to do
so, since there are number of strong advocates for it...

The issue of whether the spec should say "HTML good, XML bad" is seperate
 from whether it should keep doing this - and while one opinion was
expressed that we go too far in doing so, I haven't seen any real support
for changing that. The issue in question is probably divisive enough.
Let's try not to swallow the flamebait...

cheers

Chaals

chaals@opera.com    Catch up: Speed Dial   http://opera.com