Re: 3.6. The root element

From: Robert Burns <rob@robburns.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 08:17:53 -0500
Cc: Jason White <jason@jasonjgw.net>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
To: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>

Hi Anne,

On Aug 1, 2007, at 3:20 AM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 07:54:50 +0200, Robert Burns <rob@robburns.com>
> wrote:
>> I agree the current draft is more precise. I question whether that
>> precision is at all necessary. If UAs are required to ignore any
>> attribute with the name "xmlns" or starting with "xmnls:" then the
>> value of the attribute is irrelevant.
>
> If the value of the xmlns attribute is not http://www.w3.org/1999/
> xhtml the whole XHTML transition idea is false and the author
> probably made a mistake.

I think it's hard for us to know, in advance, how authors will use
this. It could be that the author maintains a list of namespace
declarations on an HTML root element in anticipation of using them on
another XML root element later on. In processing, the author will add
a corresponding namespace prefix to all of the HTML elements later
(when it's turned into XML).

Who knows how this would be used? It just seems a little odd to tell
authors this attribute is meaningless for text/html, but they better
make sure it has the right value.

Take care,
Rob