Re: XML versions

Henri Sivonen wrote:

> The same argumentation of not trying to fight XML 1.1 (even though using
> XML 1.1 on the Web is a really bad idea) generalizes to not fighting
> SOAP. :-/ People will use the vocabulary with SOAP, XML 1.1, EXI, etc.
> anyway. If someone wants to transfer XHTML5 infosets over SOAP, why
> should the spec insist on pure XML 1.0 support also being present?

You have to draw line somewhere to ensure interoperability. With your
reasoning we can simply drop XML and HTML syntax from the spec and left
just DOM as an abstract model of HTML document here. Everyone will be
then allowed to use its own seralization be it HTML, XML, some funky
subset of XML, s-expression or some ASN.1 encoding.