Re: HTML 5 proposal - OBJECT elements, environment discovery and alternative content

2007/7/31, Kornel Lesinski:

> On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 18:22:41 +0100, Philip Ronan
> <philronan@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > (1) A web page providing instructions on how to download an image might
> > contain the following:
>
> You could use Content-Disposition header and simply link to an image.

Or include both tips:
If you're using Internet Explorer version 6 on Windows, hover the
image and click the Save As… button on the image toolbar.
If you use another browser on Windows, right-click on the image and
choose the Save As… option.
If you use a Mac, click the image while pressing the Ctrl key and then
choose the Save As… option.
Otherwise, you should know how to save images from your browsers.

...or just don't say anything.
On some cars, the reverse gear is at the bottom right angle (opposite
of the first gear) while on others it's on the left of the 1st gear;
on some cars you have to push the lever while on others there's a ring
on the lever that you have to pull up. However you generally just say
"engage the reverse gear". Not to talk about automatic or
semi-automatic transmissions.
(DISCLOSURE: English is not my mother tong and it's hard to find
translations of idiomatic expressions; please forgive me if this is
not good English)

> > (2) A web page that contains a few characters of Japanese will not
> > display correctly
>
> IMHO a better approach would be to embed a custom font that contains these
> characters and set it as last alternative in CSS.

More to the point: I don't read Japanese, so Accept-Language won't
contain "ja" (that's how I've set up my browsers), however my browsers
can display katakanas, hiraganas and some kanjis.
Hopefully, "unicode fonts" are now widely deployed.

> > (3) A website with user-selectable CSS stylesheets could use a cookie to
> > store the client's preferred style and set this stylesheet as the
> > default stylesheet for subsequent page views.
>
> I think this would be better solved if UAs simply remembered user's choice
> of alternate stylesheet.
>
> However for this and similar customizations, you could use HTML5's
> client-side storage:
> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/section-storage.html

...or, even if cookies were used, you could change the stylesheet on
the client side rather than using conneg (or eventually use conneg on
stylesheets rather than pages).

But I believe this is a UA problem. For instance, there's an addon for
Firefox that does just that: remember the chosen alternate stylesheet:
https://addons.mozilla.org/fr/firefox/addon/1386

--
Thomas Broyer