Re: Support Existing Content (was: Proposed Design Principles review)

On 30 Apr, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> On Apr 30, 2007, at 9:48 AM, Philip Taylor (Webmaster) wrote:
>
>> The W3C should define HTML, and browser manufacturers should be
>> willing to accept that definition (or to reject it, at their own
>> risk: this is a free world),
>
> Wouldn't it be better to take input from browser manufacturers into
> account up front, and make HTML5 something that they are willing,
> able and eager to implement in a conforming way? Keep in mind that

  Netscape introduced the FONT element. Microsoft, Opera, and Apple all
  were willing, able, if not eager, to implement it.

  Does that mean we should add FONT to the standard? The WHAT WG seem to
  think so - I disagree; as does most everyone I know who work with the
  web.

  I'm afraid that if we /do/ make HTML 5 what the browser vendors are
  willing, able, and eager to implement then we'll not get anything
  /other/ than what they want.

  That's not enough. We /also/ need things in the specs that browser
  vendors might not want, or to do things in ways /they/ don't want; but
  users might still need, require, wish ... this is a two-way street.

> though it may be satisfying to show those browser vendors who's boss,
> you may find it more productive to work with us constructively.

  There really is no need to make snide remarks. None here or elsewhere
  is trying to "show those browser vendors who's boss" - I, for one, am
  simply not in agreement with the path to take.

  I hope, sincerely, that you are not suggesting disagreement is somehow
  undesired.

--
 -       Tina Holmboe                           Greytower Technologies
       tina@greytower.net                      http://www.greytower.net