Re: How to refer to place of document, which is not marked by author!?

On 4/28/07, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:

>> (Side note: when people here say "tag soup" do they mean "non-
> >> conforming HTML" or "any HTML"? I can't really tell from general
> >> usage of the term. I always assumed it specifically meant non-
> >> conforming or otherwise "bad" markup, but people seem to use it as
> >> a dismissive way to refer to anything in HTML syntax.)
> >
> > Can't speak for others, but I meant "non-conforming HTML", but
> > since you can't generically know which is which form a URL, it is
> > effectively "any HTML."
>
> You can't generically know if something is HTML at all from a URL -
> it could be XHTML, SVG or a PNG image. Even if the URL ends in
> ".html". Does that make XHTML and PNG "tag soup"? I don't think that
> is what most people mean.
>
> Regards,
> Maciej

This WikiPedia article <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tag_soup> currently
says "Because web browsers have always treated HTML errors leniently, *tag
soup* is also used by browser implementers to refer to all HTML. HTML must
be treated by web browsers as tag soup in comparison to XML where errors
need not, and should not, be corrected according to the specification."

So the authors seem to be saying that HTML == Tag Soup. Unfortunately, the
article does not cite sources.
--
Arthur Jennings