Re: [suggestion] Allow DIV inside any element

From: Andrew Stibbard <xhva_htmlwg@netspace.net.au>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 08:18:58 +1000
To: Marat Tanalin <mtanalin@yandex.ru>
CC: public-html@w3.org

Marat Tanalin wrote:
> Hi to all HTML WG Members.
>
> I suggest to allow using DIV element inside any element (probably except
> tables).
>
> It's necessary in order to make code more _semantic_. Let assume that we
> have definition list:
>
> <dl>
> 	<dt>lorem</dt>
> 	<dd>ipsum</dd>
>
> 	<dt>dolor</dt>
> 	<dd>sit</dd>
> </dl>
>
> Currently, if we want to group each pair DT/DD (mainly to apply styles to
> each DT/DD _pair_) we have to use own DL for each pair:
>
> <dl>
> 	<dt>lorem</dt>
> 	<dd>ipsum</dd>
> </dl>
>
> <dl>
> 	<dt>dolor</dt>
> 	<dd>sit</dd>
> </dl>

[snip]

This seems purely presentational, and I think would be best kept in the
domain of CSS (using :nth-child or :nth-of-type for styling ranges comes
to mind).

It's a bit of a reach, but would CSS3 columns and the column-break-after
property satisfy the requirement for user-defined column breaks?

   - Andy