Re: HTML version issue summary?

From: Dão Gottwald <dao@design-noir.de>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 11:57:53 +0200
To: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>
CC: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>

Karl Dubost schrieb:
>> CSS,
>
> It is very difficult for validator developers to create a useful tool
> because of this. We are forced for now to guess the versioning by
> analyzing which properties are here or not.

Since CSS x tends to be a superset of CSS x-1, what's the problem with
just assuming the latest recommendation? Sure, the levels are not fully
backwards-compatible. But then again, if the latest recommendation makes
something obsolete, I would expect the validator to warn me.

>> PHP,
>
> The scripts have indeed no version information but the test for it is
> "working" or "not working. The developer develops for a specific version.
>     "Download PHP version X.",
>     "You can't use this function  with PHP version X."
> It is a closed/wall garden environment as in my scripts are limited by
> the capabilities of the libraries installed on the server.

PHP 5 is 99% backwards-compatible; a script written for PHP 4 just works
with PHP 5 in most cases. Of course, that's not the case the other way
around and there may be other dependencies.

I didn't want to say that PHP (or any other mentioned language) is
hundred per cent comparable to HTML. I just wanted to cite some examples
for why I think "it's still good language design to identify the
specific language version" is not an accomplished fact.

--Dao