Re: Support Existing Content (was: Proposed Design Principles review)

On Apr 28, 2007, at 12:13 PM, Murray Maloney wrote:

> At 08:08 AM 4/28/2007 -0700, Preston L. Bannister wrote:
>> Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>> > I renamed this principle to "Support Existing Content". Here is
>> the new text:
>> >
>> > SupportExistingContent: Browsers implementing the new version of
>> HTML
>> > should still be able to handle existing content. Ideally, it
>> should be
>> > possible to process web documents and applications via an HTML5
>> > implementation even if they were authored against older
>> implementations
>> > and do not specifically request HTML5 processing.
>>
>> This re-statement is much improved over the prior, BTW.
>
> The problem with this statement is that it is not a Language Design
> Principle.
> It is a User Agent Design Principle. I would feel more comfortable
> if you
> would label it as a User Agent Design Principle.

I agree the POV seems off. However, this principle has very important
implications for language design. How about like this:

Support Existing Content

SupportExistingContent: HTML5 should be designed so that user agents
conforming to it can still handle existing web content as intended.
In particular HTML5 should make it possible to process web documents
and applications via an HTML5 implementation even if they were
authored against older implementations and do not specifically
request HTML5 processing.

All changes and additions could cause some content to malfunction at
least in theory, but this will vary in degree. We need to judge
whether the value of the change is worth the cost. Cross-browser
content on the public Web should be given the most weight.

Regards,
Maciej