Re: How to refer to place of document, which is not marked by author!?

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 01:52:18 -0700
Cc: public-html@w3.org
To: Mike Schinkel <w3c-lists@mikeschinkel.com>

On Apr 28, 2007, at 1:04 AM, Mike Schinkel wrote:

> Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>>
>> I imagine XPointer would work on the DOM, so it doesn't matter how
>> the document was initially parsed.
>
> I think it would be incredibly beneficial if some method were made
> that would allow for use of (something) XPointer(-like) in browsers
> today.

To make it work today, you'd need client-side scripting on the target
page to find the right element and scroll to it.

>> (Side note: when people here say "tag soup" do they mean "non-
>> conforming HTML" or "any HTML"? I can't really tell from general
>> usage of the term. I always assumed it specifically meant non-
>> conforming or otherwise "bad" markup, but people seem to use it as
>> a dismissive way to refer to anything in HTML syntax.)
>
> Can't speak for others, but I meant "non-conforming HTML", but
> since you can't generically know which is which form a URL, it is
> effectively "any HTML."

You can't generically know if something is HTML at all from a URL -
it could be XHTML, SVG or a PNG image. Even if the URL ends in
".html". Does that make XHTML and PNG "tag soup"? I don't think that
is what most people mean.

Regards,
Maciej