Re: Proposed requirement: specification should provide enough detail to handle Web content

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 20:33:08 +0000 (UTC)
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Cc: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, public-html@w3.org

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007, Dan Connolly wrote:

> Anyway... if we don't see a whole lot more trust and cooperation than
> I've seen lately, we'll either have to leave a bunch of stuff
> unspecified or get creative about decision-making processes.

For what it's worth, I agree with David that it would be significantly
worse to leave things undefined than almost anything else. As editor (of
any spec) I don't intend to ever leave anything undefined if it is needed
for interoperability.

Sometimes not everyone will be happy. There are several things in the
WHATWG draft today that aren't what I would like to have, e.g.. But it's
more important to have an interoperably implementable spec (for both
conforming and nonconforming content) than it is to have everyone happy.