Re: Proposed Design Principles review

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 16:02:36 +1000
To: Doug Schepers <doug.schepers@vectoreal.com>
CC: public-html@w3.org

Doug Schepers wrote:
> Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>> You are in effect asking browser vendors and maintainers of existing
>> content to pay a large development cost for the aesthetic benefits
>
> No, please don't mischaracterize my intent like that.  It's not about
> aesthetics, it's about a simpler, more consistent language for developers.
>
>> of a simpler, more elegant spec. And I don't think that is a
>> reasonable request. We're talking potentially billions of dollars in
>> development costs across the industry.
>
> While you are asking for developers to continue to struggle with the
> legacy quirks for years or decades to come, certainly a greater cost.

The reason web developers struggle is not because the language makes
allowances for sloppy coding, but because of the lack of
interoperability between browsers.  We need to fix the interoperability
issues to make everyone's life better, not punish users and authors for
making mistakes.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/