Re: Versioning of HTML fragments

From: Asbjørn Ulsberg <asbjorn@ulsberg.no>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 17:55:27 +0200
To: "Marco Von Ballmoos" <mvonballmo@gmail.com>, "Sam Ruby" <rubys@us.ibm.com>
Cc: public-html@w3.org

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 19:44:34 +0200, Marco Von Ballmoos
<mvonballmo@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is a very common situation that HTML doesn't deal with well at all.
> For example, an RSS feed may include HTML, which specifies classes and
> styles. In order that that the feed appear as intended, stylesheets are
> included as well, but the styles can only go in the head of the
> document, so each item in a feed ends up being its own HTML document.

Indeed, this is a shortcoming of HTML today, which is why we see <iframe>
employed, used and abused so heavily. I'm not sure how this can be solved
in HTML without hooking into some server-side support, though. HTML might
provide the authoring mechanisms for this to be solved, but without some
server-side magic, I can't quite picture how this is going to be solved.

--
Asbjørn Ulsberg           -=|=-        asbjorn@ulsberg.no