Re: HTML version issue summary?

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 18:45:19 -0700
To: David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com>
CC: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, public-html@w3.org

David Hyatt wrote:

> Versioning is like a vendor-neutral opt-in hook.  Browsers can then use
> their own opt-in hooks and use the vendor-neutral hook once they are
> confident in their compliance with the spec.  Theoretically IE might do
> something like this with my proposal:
>
> IE 8 ships with partial HTML5 support, uses custom opt-in #1
> IE8.1 ships with more complete HTML5 support, uses custom opt-in #2
> IE9 is the point where MSFT decides they've nailed it, now they use the
> HTML5 version as opt-in #3
> IE9.1 starts adding more features for future HTML versions or maybe has
> to tweak existing HTML5 a tiny bit to deal with some quirks, uses custom
> opt-in #4

I don't think this will work. What would probably happen is that before
IE9 (in the example above) ships there will be tons of HTML5 documents
that doesn't use any IE opt-in switches authored and put up on the web.
Microsoft will unlikely be willing to all of a sudden switch rendering
mode on all those documents and would instead require opt-in #3 to be
some custom switch.

Of course, it would be great to hear microsofts view on this.

/ Jonas