Re: Parsing of HTML fragments

From: Dão Gottwald <dao@design-noir.de>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 02:23:51 +0200
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: Edward O'Connor <hober0@gmail.com>, public-html@w3.org, foolistbar@googlemail.com

Ian Hickson schrieb:
> On Tue, 24 Apr 2007, Dão Gottwald wrote:
>>> If this WG adopts the WHATWG draft, I imagine this would be handled by
>>> the innerHTML parsing mode.
>> Um, not necessarily. A feed consumer doesn't have to use innerHTML to
>> insert fragments into a given document. In fact, HTML fragments can be
>> delivered as XML nodes instead of CDATA.
>
> The "innerHTML parsing mode" isn't restricted to innerHTML; it's just a
> way to parse fragments with a particular context. You can use the
> algorithm described for innerHTML in the spec for other purposes, such as
> this one.

Using the described algorithm is an option. Yet I don't think that
specifies "how HTML fragments, such as those in Atom documents, are to
be parsed". There are too many use cases and different valid approaches
to handle them. A server / feed reader could inject fragments by
building up the document with string operations and passing the whole
thing to the user agent / HTML parser afterwards; the latter would never
know that there were fragments. Heck, you don't even need a context; you
could treat feed entries as isolated documents.

--Dao