Re: Versioning of HTML fragments

On Apr 24, 2007, at 00:41, Sam Ruby wrote:

> I'm concerned that global page-wide versioning syntaxes will end up
> being a failed attempt to shift the burden of reconciling disparate
> versions onto one of the components of the web least equipped to
> deal with it: to primitive templating systems.

+1

This is a very common situation that HTML doesn't deal with well at
all. For example, an RSS feed may include HTML, which specifies
classes and styles. In order that that the feed appear as intended,
stylesheets are included as well, but the styles can only go in the
head of the document, so each item in a feed ends up being its own
HTML document. For feed readers like Opera, which display each item
on its own, this is ok. Feed aggregators like Google Reader simply
strip out everything because it assumes that all extra styles and
sheets are evil (even though the feed really only wanted to make sure
it's emphasis and quoting appeared correctly). Other aggregators,
like Bloglines, leave everything in, essentially including multiple
HTML documents without the main one and including the feed item's
styles globally.

--
Marco Von Ballmoos
http://earthli.com - Home of the earthli WebCore; PHP web sites made