Re: Eolas vs. <object>

IANAL, but, <object> is, as far as I know, only a problem if it’s an
actual plugin. That is, if e.g. images or video is supported natively by
the browser, it is no problem for the browser with regard to the Eolas
patent to hook into that and show them.

Also, the patent only applies if the plugin is interactive. So, if a
video plugin only takes care of the video and doesn’t provide a user
interface but instead only a DOM API for JavaScript and maybe some
parameters for autoplay etc, it isn’t affected by the Eolas patent either.

Additionally, I think if the browser would provide a UI which hooks in
to the DOM API that the plugin provides, it still isn’t affected by
Eolas. But again, IANAL.

~Grauw