Re: A Concrete Example for the HTML Versioning Debate

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 10:45:38 -0700
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: Jeff Schiller <codedread@gmail.com>, public-html@w3.org

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Apr 2007, Jeff Schiller wrote:
>> I don't think this is what you intended by this - but it sounds like
>> it's ok to break content relying on Firefox and Opera behavior but not
>> to break content relying on IE behavior.
>
> When we have to chose between the two (which is extremely rare, given how
> little content _depends_ on Firefox or Opera), yes, we should stick to
> compatibility with the browser used by the most people, namely IE.

I don't think it's as simple as this actually. Adding weird unlogical
behavior to the spec has a cost, so we should not blindly do what IE
does as soon as there is someone relying on it. For example, IEs
getElementById uses the name attribute in some cases, but it seems like
few enough sites depend on that that it hasn't been a big issue for us
that Firefox follows the spec. So in that case I'd recommend keeping the
spec simple rather than trying to follow IE.

As I've said before, these things need to be judged on a case by case basis.

/ Jonas