Re: The argument for |bugmode| (was Re: If we have versioning, it should be in an attribute, not the doctype)

Dão Gottwald wrote:
> Matthew Raymond schrieb:
>> Example:
>>
>> | <!DOCTYPE html>
[Snip!]

> I'd like to hear from other vendors if they would find that useful.
> So far, I believe IE would be the only browser using that, and only as
> an interim solution, thus it shouldn't be part of the specification.

   Possibly, but seeing as they're the ones shouting the loudest for a
switch, any switch we provide will essentially be for ID specifically.

> Also note that a page can depend on various buggy user agents.

   It's more likely that an author will write around the bugs of several
browsers than take advantage of bugs in several browsers. I can see
pages using proprietary features from various browsers, but that's not
what |bugmode| is for. The |bugmode| attribute indicates that the page
relies on one or more bugs, not a proprietary element or attribute. Most
intentionally proprietary markup can be supported without a switch.

   Then again, if you have a use case in mind, we could always make
|bugmode| a space separated list like |class|:

   Also, I think that any page using |bugmode| should trigger a
non-modal notification by the user agent stating that the page is using
a specific bug compatibility mode. ("MUST"?)