RE: If we have versioning, it should be in an attribute, not the doctype

From: Chris Wilson <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 15:13:41 -0700
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
CC: "public-html@w3.org WG" <public-html@w3.org>

Maciej Stachowiak [mailto:mjs@apple.com] wrote:

On Apr 17, 2007, at 3:00 PM, Chris Wilson wrote:
>> Or, as I've suggested:
>>  <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "html5">
>
>That doesn't seem especially prettier or uglier - I'll leave it to
>others to note whether this is an appropriate string to use as a
>doctype in SGML or XML.

It's not (that is, it does not follow the form for SGML DTD descriptors.  Actually, I guess you could say <!DOCTYPE html SYSTEM "html5">.  My Writing SGML DTDs book is still buried in a box somewhere.

>>If you feel that strongly, I could
>> probably be beaten in to submission.
>
>You shouldn't assume you will get a spec-condoned version talisman at
>all.

Nor was I.  I was stating, in the classic parlance of "like/dislike-can live with/dislike-can't live with" my stance on this proposal.

-C