Re: Perception of HTML5 (was Re: Formal definition of HTML5)

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 10:48:43 -0700
Cc: public-html@w3.org
To: Henrik Dvergsdal <henrik.dvergsdal@hibo.no>

On Apr 17, 2007, at 4:56 AM, Henrik Dvergsdal wrote:

> On 17. apr. 2007, at 11.30, Ian Hickson wrote:
>
>> working directly with the community of web developers, taking
>> feedback into account, iterating continuously over many years
>> improving the document as time passes.
>
>> We will be fixing errors in our specs for years if not decades to
>> come
>
>> I prefer English prose over the other techniques because in my
>> experience
>> it leads to better implementations
>
>> Stability is a myth in the development of specifications as
>> complicated as
>> HTML
>
> OK. Let me take a step back and try to make sense of all this.
>
> To me HTML5 is now starting to look less like a spec/standard in
> the usual sense and more like a continuously evolving guide to
> building browsers, conformance checkers and web pages.
>
> To me, it looks like HTML5 as proposed will not define a formal
> language in the traditional sense.

I don't know what you mean by formal in this case. If you are
assuming that a language has to define its grammar in a special
symbolic syntax rather than English to be well-defined, then I think
you are just wrong. Also, the spec changing for some time in response
to implementation feedback is neither unusual nor a bad thing for a
web standard.

Regards,
Maciej