Re: Formal definition of HTML5 (was Re: Version information)

From: David Dailey <david.dailey@sru.edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 11:45:26 -0400
To: Dão Gottwald <dao@design-noir.de>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: public-html@w3.org

At 04:19 AM 4/17/2007, Dão Gottwald wrote:

>Ian Hickson schrieb:
>>>How would that affect the DOM1 tBodies and rows collections?
>>This is defined here:
>>    http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#tbodies
>>    http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#rows
>>...or in the shorter multipage version (these URIs are not stable):
>>Let me know if this doesn't address your question.
>I thought this would break scripts where the
>author assumed that tbody is implicitly created,
>but apparently that assumption is already false
>today. So the spec is accurate; nothing to worry about ...

Let me see if I understand...

the (whatwg) spec says "Zero or more
elements, or [...]"

The W3C spec says
start tag is always required except when the
table contains only one table body and no table
head or foot sections. The
end tag may always be safely omitted."

But when I look at
document.getElementById(tableId).firstChild in
Opera, FF, or IE it is always a <tbody> , even if
I did not code one there myself. The browser
inserts if for me. Does this mean those browsers
are doing it wrong? I rather suspect I'm
misreading the specs (this is a far simpler
explanation). But it did rather break a script
which assumed the <table> remained topologically
equivalent to the one I had built -- 'til I
figured out that the browsers invented this tag
for me (despite my preference to the contrary).

David Dailey
The first time I discovered this I thought it was
an IE thing, and I was tempted to fuss, since I
had not given anyone to make unlicensed
derivative artwork out of my purely expressive
original expressions -- (just kidding).