Re: Non-goal for HTML: Picture-perfect rendering

From: Murray Maloney <murray@muzmo.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 18:45:26 -0400
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Cc: Murray Maloney <murray@muzmo.com>,public-html@w3.org

At 02:31 PM 4/16/2007 -0700, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>On Apr 16, 2007, at 2:03 PM, Murray Maloney wrote:
>>At 11:07 AM 4/16/2007 -0700, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>>>On Apr 16, 2007, at 10:39 AM, Murray Maloney wrote:
>
>How about you convince me? I actually gave an argument to support my
>position (specifying rendering is needed for interoperability) and
>you didn't give any argument for yours.

I disagree with you. That is, you claim that picture-perfect rendering
is needed for interoperability, but you have not supported that claim.
I claim that it is not needed for interoperability, and I have pointed
out that "picture-perfect" is irrelevant in other modalities. Therefore,
your argument lacks a foundation.

>>While you are at it, please explain how you propose to
>>accomplish "Picture-perfect rendering" in braille and speech.
>
>Notice that I said "for some media" - pixel-precise rendering of
>certain HTML constructs on visual interactive user agents would not
>have any effects on aural or braille rendering.

And therefore would not be any help with interoperability.

It's not about painting pixels on a screen. It is about empowering people.

Regards,

Murray