Re: Non-goal for HTML: Picture-perfect rendering

On Apr 16, 2007, at 10:39 AM, Murray Maloney wrote:

> I couldn't agree more with T.V. Raman on this matter.
> I suggest that we promote this statement to the status
> of Design Principle.

I disagree. Consistent rendering, to some extent and at least for
some media, is required for interoperability. Your proposed principle
would be in direct conflict with our interoperability goals.

I tend to agree that some details of rendering should be left up to
the implementation. For example, text quality, appearance of form
controls, quality of image scaling are all areas that have
historically been left up to the implementation, and I believe this
gives more benefits in competition for quality of rendering than
costs in interoperability. But deciding this sort of thing is a
judgment call; I don't think we can make an a priori principle that
tells us exactly how much implementation freedom there should be in
rendering.

Regards,
Maciej