Re: Versioning and html[5]

On Apr 15, 2007, at 1:17 PM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>> Safari and Firefox handle sites with misnested forms in tables
>> reasonably well, as far as I know, but make a proper DOM tree in
>> these cases. I'd love to hear of sites where this is not true, in
>> case we have some bug fixing to do.
>
> To be entirely honest, Gecko has had four bugs filed on issues
> related to this in the last 8 years or so.  In all cases, the page
> used innerHTML on the <form> or the table elements in question and
> was surprised that the form had no kids or that setting innerHTML
> on the <tr> in the following markup:

>   <form>
>   </form>
>
> did not add the form controls in the new HTML to the form.

It sounds to me like these issues could be addressed while still
maintaining a tree-formed DOM, although innerHTML outputting
something other than an actual reflection of the DOM tree would be a
little ugly. Still, adjusting innerHTML in this way would actually be
more round-trippable than making innerHTML reflect the true DOM.

I'm not sure if it is worth the effort if it is really very few
sites; thanks for the heads-up though.

Regards,
Maciej