Re: Versioning and html[5]

From: Matthew Raymond <mattraymond@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 13:40:32 -0400
To: Mike Schinkel <w3c-lists@mikeschinkel.com>

Mike Schinkel wrote:
> Håkon Wium Lie wrote:
>> Supporting (office formats), in all its versions, is prohibitively expensive for anyone but Microsoft.
>>
> Sorry, although I do support the desire to have formats document, the
> statement is patently false. Here are just a few examples:
>
>     * http://officewriter.softartisans.com/
>     * http://www.textcontrol.com/
>     * http://www.officeocx.com/
>     * http://www.aspose.com/Products/Aspose.Total/

   Judging by the following URL, I suspect their implementations are not
nearly as complete or accurate as required for a full-featured office
 suite.

http://www.aspose.com/COMMUNITY/blogs/post.aspx?App=roman.korchagin&y=2004&m=12&d=17&PostID=31719

   OfficeWriter in particular doesn't appear to read Office files at
all. It simply writes to them. I suspect if I hunted long enough, I'd
find problems with ASPOSE and Office OCX as well. The complete lack of
reviews on these products is disturbing.