Re: Proposing <indent> vs. <blockquote>

Roger Johansson wrote:
> On 14 apr 2007, at 08.51, Mike Schinkel wrote:
>> Can you please provide me an example of both an <indent> and an
>> alternate HTML element that would be styled with CSS?  And please do
>> it with inline CSS styling as people who write HTML in blog posts and
>> in comments on blogs and when posting to forums.
You've made my point. That's beyond the skill (or interest to learn) of
most people developing blog and forum content (i.e. posts or comments).
What's more, when numerous indented paragraphs are needed and the author
has no access to the CSS file, it's no real conceptual difference than
using <font> tags for setting fonts; it results in annoying and hard to
maintain duplication.

This is much cleaner and more likely to be used by the average content
author than your above example:

    <indent>Here is my indented block of text.</indent>

>>> Any incoherencies in the box model support in different browsers are
>>> only temporary and will be eradicated in the coming months/years.
>> Forgive me for being skeptical, but I believe you are being
>> hopelessly over-optimistic on this count.
> I don't know if there have ever been any differences in box model
> support that would affect the margins necessary for indenting. There
> certainly aren't any in current browsers, unless I am completely
> misunderstanding you.
Well, I've run into problems with just such a think on IE7 vs FF2 but
since I can't remember the specifics I'll have to let this drop for the
moment.

--
-Mike Schinkel
http://www.mikeschinkel.com/blogs/