Re: Proposal to Adopt HTML5

At 7:38 PM -0700 UTC, on 4/9/07, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> [...] we the
> undersigned propose the following:
>
> - that the W3C HTML Working Group adops the WHAT Working Group's
> HTML5 as the starting point for further HTML development
> - that the W3C's next-generation HTML specification is officially
> named "HTML 5"

I got the impression that "Web Applications 1.0" is about more than just
HTML. If I'm not mistaken about that, it would seem wrong to me to use the
name "HTML 5".

> - that Ian Hickson is named as editor for the W3C's HTML 5
> specification, to preserve continuity with the existing WHATWG effort
>
> If HTML5 is adopted as a starting point, the contents of the document
> would still be up for review and revision, but we would start with
> the existing text.

Certainly seems the most practical/sensible approach to me.

I do wish though that <http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/>
would be made more accessible. It currently takes several minutes to be
rendered and generates horizontal scrollbars (in every browser I tried). It
would be much easier to review if it were split into chewable sections. It's
currently too inaccessible to get a good overview or to quickly find the
sections I'm interested in. It being this one huge chunk also makes it harder
to keep track of changes.

I know Ian plans to tackle this, but until it actually happens, discussion of
Web Apps 1.0 is more difficult than it should have to be, which will
discourage people from participating (I know such discouragement can have its
positive sides too).

--
Sander Tekelenburg