Re: Proposal to Adopt HTML5

From: Laurens Holst <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 21:49:14 +0900
To: Geoffrey Sneddon <foolistbar@googlemail.com>
CC: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, public-html@w3.org
Geoffrey Sneddon schreef:
>> You're free to argue against this proposal on the grounds that the
>> step is too big. And I'm interested to learn about alternative
>> ways to move forward.
>
> I'm equally interested to hear about alternatives: plenty of people
> have already quite clearly stated that starting from HTML 4.01 is near
> unworkable, due to how vague it is, and nobody has put forward any
> other possible starting point.

As this is the second time I hear someone say that no alternatives have
been offered, I’d like to refer to my earlier message where I suggested
two other approaches:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007JanMar/0085.html

I think both are based on the idea of cutting up the WHATWG’s specs a
little, the first doing a quick review for patents and then copying over
everything that’s not ‘dangerous’ and keeping the remainder in a
separate ‘sandbox’ for more in-depth review; the second cutting up the
spec in smaller ‘units’ that can be discussed and integrated into the
specification one by one.

That said, I don’t have any particular objections against integrating
the WHATWG’s specs as a whole. I only fear that with things like for
example <video> already having proactively been added to the published
specification draft, implementations even being made already, it will be
hard for me to effectively argue that <object> should be used.

~Grauw