Re: Proposal to Adopt HTML5

David Dailey wrote:

> b) WHATWG's origins were based in discontent with the W3C (as per its
> FAQ). That is a discontent I have no reason to share (being new to this
> sort of thing), but it does give cause for caution.

I think it is accurate to say that the discontent was largely with the
fact that no backward-compatible successor to HTML4 was being developed
at the W3C. This is clearly not the case anymore.

> d) there are things in the WHATWG proposal that I remain unconvinced of
> and would likely argue against should those discussions become
> appropriate. I think line-item discussion must remain possible.

I don't think anyone has ever suggested otherwise. Where you have issues
with the content of the WHATWG document, it's worth checking the mailing
list archive [1] for relevant discussion in case the feedback loop
documented there contains information pertinent to your concerns.

> f) the argument that the WHATWG document is so extensively
> interconnected that parts of it cannot be considered in isolation has
> surfaced a couple of times. That seems to be an argument against a
> document rather than for it to me.

The specification necessarily has interconnection between the different
areas (e.g. the section on parsing has to know about document.write) so
some tight coupling is a necessary consequence of the task being
undertaken. However if we identify specific ways to make the
specification clearer I'm confident Hixie (or any other editor) will be
open to making the necessary changes.

[1] http://lists.whatwg.org/pipermail/whatwg-whatwg.org/

--
"Instructions to follow very carefully.
Go to Tesco's.  Go to the coffee aisle.  Look at the instant coffee.