innerHTML and setTimeout

From: David Dailey <david.dailey@sru.edu>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 13:09:09 -0400
To: public-html@w3.org

The WHATWG proposal makes a couple of modest recommendations that
seem to be rather worth endorsing, since people have been using them
for almost a decade now: innerHTML and setTimeout.

I gather (somewhat informally) that neither has appeared as a part of
W3C recos, but both have their merits and (I suppose) shortcomings.
All the major browsers seem to support both, so why not make them
official? * Both things are a part of the landscape of extant dynamic
web programming, for better or worse.

I am unsure whether this group will ultimately be allowed to
undertake line-item review of parts of the WHATWG proposal. Always an
optimist, I assume that W3C might at some time have an opportunity to
accept some, but perhaps not all, of what WHATWG has so generously
provided, without breaking the web.

David Dailey

*I do have a quibble with setTimeout. From the WHATWG working draft:
"Thus the HTML scripting model [for setTimeout]is strictly
single-threaded and not reentrant."
which may be worth voicing at some time, I think, since it causes
some amount of agony.