Re: Version information

From: Henrik Dvergsdal <henrik.dvergsdal@hibo.no>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 17:53:32 +0200
To: public-html@w3.org

On 8. apr. 2007, at 01.32, Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> The intention of HTML5 is for it to be defined in a way that *is*
> compatible with the web

..

>  We need to define exactly how to handle the web as it is today and
> that means defining how to handle today's content.

Lets say someone wants to create a 100% compliant browser completely
from scratch, guided *only* by HTML5 and other standards external to
HTML and with no prior knowledge of the functionality of current
browsers.

Should this browser then be compatible with "todays content"?

In other words: Should the standard be comprehensive and detailed
enough to ensure that this browser will be able to handle every
single page on "the web as it is today" in a way that doesn't
surprise people to much?

--
Henrik