Re: Use the role-attribute instead of predefined class names

Dailey, David P. wrote:
> On  Sat 4/7/2007 9:40 PM Matthew Raymond wrote:
>> If something rises to the level of needing to be put in a
>> specification, it should be put into the markup, not into
>> an extension mechanism.
>
> I always sort of felt that way about CSS, but I guess that's water
> under the bridge now.

   CSS makes it clear how you're supposed to name vendor specific
extensions. It's not CSS's fault that Microsoft chooses to ignore the
specified naming conventions. By following those naming conventions,
other vendors have been able to implement not only their own extensions,
but early versions of properties in W3C drafts without causing problems
on down the line.

   I'm uncertain how an author would implement their own custom CSS
properties (if that's what you meant), but I suspect this would be
undesirable anyways, considering the complexity of such implementations.